Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Monday, April 13, 2009

The First Cutting & Some Spring Cleaning

Oh how I wish I could say that the first cutting with our local High Desert Cutters was a complete success for me...but it just wasn't going to be. The day started out with sunny skies and just a slight breeze. It had been raining the prior 3 days, but we can't complain about that when we only get 9 inches average a year! So, the weather was decent, but warm up area was a lil' on the slippery side.

The way we do our cuttings is to find ranches that are willing to host the event at their place. It cuts down on costs to haul cattle in and rental fees for our fairgrounds. We pay the ranch for use of their cattle, but many of the ranches donate the cost back to the club! The cattle at this ranch were all black Angus...hardly any had white markings, so it was really hard to keep track of the cattle in the herd. But, all in all, the cattle we pretty good.

Where are the pics you ask...well, I did a dumb thing. I found 4 batteries in my camera bag and made the mistake of thinking they were new batteries...they were old, dead batteries. So, not one pic...dang it!

Colt tried his hardest and I can only blame myself for scoring a 63 and coming in last in the class. I had 3 "loss of working advantage" and a back fence. The part that I'm most bothered by is the back fence...not that I got it but that I was riding too aggressively and the cow hit the fence and fell...the cow was ok, but I felt about as big as an ant.

So, Colt and I have a lot of work to do in the coming months. I'm looking forward to a 3 day cow working clinic with Mike Bridges on the weekend of April 25.




Spring Cleaning!


On Sunday...first things first...the changing of the guard...

Out with the snowman...



In with the Easter bunny...
Now, why didn't I do this 2 weeks ago?!? Duh!



Ok...see this lovely green? Kinda pretty huh?




The close up revels these pretty lil' yellow flowers...


I call them devil flowers...they turn into tiny, nasty, hard, thorny pods. This is the first year that I've finally been able to time the spraying right. They must die!!! The dogs will really appreciate it...for them it's like walking on a bed of nails...so I went into attack mode with my trusty weapon...


The killing machine!!!
Loaded with 25 gallons of RoundUp and 2-4-D.
Knock 'um dead!


While I'm on my killing frenzy, My Man is loading up the tractor bucket with all the stuff he needs to change oil in all 4 wheel line movers. This job needed to be done last year and it didn't happen...we're trying to be on top of things this spring.







Look at that grin...he loves his tractor!



Then...I'm onto the next project...raking up all the branches that fell out of the elm trees this past winter. I had at least a dozen piles...raking is one of my least favorite chores.


Abby is supervising...and wondering why I'm
raking up her bones with the brush.
That big bone with the teeth on top is from the neighbor's
butchered hog from last fall that she drug home!




I didn't realize my rhubarb was coming up...






As well as my chives...





I had My Man get out his chain saw and take off a couple of limbs of the apple tree...I nearly had a major wreck on the riding lawn mower last fall from hitting the top of the bagger on a low limb...I actually hit the corner of the house...mower still mowing...scared the crap out of me...so off comes that dang limb...






The end of a good day...a beer on the deck with the kids...


The joys of home ownership...


Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Spring cleaning..... yeah, me too, only I'm starting in the horse pens. The yard will have to wait until next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't feel bad about it - you went and Colt got some good experience - I bet he's feeling pretty proud of himself and I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah yes, the ups and downs of horsemanship. You can't win em all...you'd get mighty hard to be around!! You said that Colt tried his best...that's something to be proud of! And like Kate said - you went and you both gained more experience. I'll bet you had some fun too! All in all, sounds like a good time to me!
    Good for you doing the spring cleaning. I am anxious to get started on that too. I've got a lot of projects lined up. It sure would be nice to be able to put on a shoe though--guess I'll just have to be patient for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see the green, but not the spikes - get 'em! My in-laws have something similar growing in Oklahoma that is so painful to doggie feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like y'all got a lot accomplished. Doesn't it make you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must feel good to get the spring chores started! It looks great to see that green grass poking up, doesn't it?
    Sorry about your first cutting event. It is good experience regardless, and you'll get better each time you give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, C-ingspots & Pony Girl...you're right. Every time we compete, we always learn something and the experience is worth a whole lot...I should have put that in the post.

    Thanks for your support and kind words though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your yard looks alot like mine, alot of work! With all the grass, sticks/branches all over from windstorms and tons of flower beds!
    I love your husbands tractor too! We have a really old one but would love to upgrade to one like that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the perfect ending to a busy day. Sounds like you got a bunch accomplished, which is always a good feeling.

    Showing/clinics always accelerate learning and spotlight things that need work (for us and our horses). Its great to get that experience and must feel great that Colt tried so hard for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring Cleaning? That's what I should be doing. Love the view from your deck. Looks like miles and miles of the big empty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics and post! Looks like ya had a busy day. I did the same thing on Saturday, took off with only a hald charged battery in the Nikon and forgot the spare, DOUGHHHHHH!!! Luckily I had my D50 along and that battery was charged.
    Hava great day..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. seeing your sprayer hooked up reminded me of a little mishap last summer: Mr. java's mom and I were spraying the top paddock, and the hose of the sprayer got caught I think on the back tire, and flew out of my hand, spraying me in the face! Somehow I survived, after washing off I could laugh A LOT about. He kept driving along as I got sprayed, talk about taking one for the team! A good days work like you had sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you certainly deserve a beer after all that work!
    Sorry that the cutting didn't go quite to plan - you'll come out top next time I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've had a busy day! Believe it or not, we have those stinkin' little flowers in Kansas! Yep - death to them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whooeee! You've been busy. I always enjoy seeing pics of Cowboy. What a guy!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to come to your clinic. I still have my mare in a hackamore because I don't know what to bit her with. There really isn't much bridle horse bitting help out here. I'm a wee bit envious.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~