Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Friday, January 30, 2009

Local Boy Goes International

Well, maybe...

The infamous Brego had a rough start in life and it kinda went down hill from there...but things seem to be looking up for the lil' guy.



He was gathered in 2003 out of the Kiger HMA and orphaned (I don't know what happened to his mother). BLM made arrangements for a private party to care for him (bottle feed) until he was old enough and strong enough to be adopted. In early 2004, he was adopted and the gal never did a thing with him...left him a stud and never handled him...no abuse, just neglect.

She sold him to a friend in 2007 and that person found me to train him. The first thing I had them do was geld him, then I had to start from square one...gentling him just as if he were straight off the range. He had quite a bit of an attitude.

He came around...


But, the new owners had bit off more horse than they needed for their "first horse." So, I bought him to ensure that he would go to a good home...well, with horse sales the way they are...I still have him.

Could it be fate...or destiney???

The gal who did all the bottle feeding on him is a friend of mine and closely involved with wild horse groups and activities...she got an email from a gal who wants to buy and import a Kiger to Norway!!! Yep, Norway!!

I sent her tons of photos and told her all of his history...we're waiting for quotes from transport companies to see how much this is going to cost to get him from Oregon to Norway.

I tell ya...I'm still laughing...I hope is actually happens...but, being a pessimist, I have my doubts.

If anyone has any experience with exporting horses to foreign countries, please speak up and give me your input...it will be greatly appreciated!



Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Wow now that is an odd area of expertise! Sorry can't help you with that one. Looks like a handsome horse - does he have the over developed crest of a late gelding? I used to ride a horse like that and he was so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celeste...he is pretty handsome, but no on the crest. He has a little thicker neck, but not like some stallions develop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beauty! That would be cool if he became an international jet-setter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! He's a handsome fellow! I love Kigers. My blog friend of Mud Ranch has several and they are just gorgeous.

    You really ought to write to Lytha of Horse Crazy American in Germany. She had her handsome horse Baasha transported from the Pacific Northwest all the way to Germany not long ago.

    She'd be a great person to ask for all the details :)

    Good luck!
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a story, it would be cool if he went to Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm showing my inexperience but what is a Kieger? Brego is a handsome horse and I hope he gets to go to Norway. Kinda like Hidalgo, only different..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your approach to training, and the name Brego is great - I'm guessing Lord of the Rings? I have a German Shepard named Brega born in 2004 - we made this up as the feminine version of Brego. Keep us posted on your guy's progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No experience with exporting or foreign languages but I wanted to tell you how wonderful he looks under saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow-keeping fingers crossed that the sale goes through. How interesting that someone wants to import a gelding. Maybe that is a good sign for the changing times? The only experience I have with other countries importing horses is from back in the early 90's when several countries were anxious to import western pleasure horses. All they were interested in were mares and stallions, because they wanted to be able to start their own breeding programs. But I think it is great if people become more interested in the geldings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice looking horse. Does exporting to the U.S. count?

    ReplyDelete
  11. {Kate} Yes, Brego was the horse that Aragorn rode. I didn't choose the name though. When he was orphaned, his name was Charlie. When the 2nd owners got him they changed it to Brego. Interesting enough though, I named one of my mustangs Rohan.

    {BECowgirls} Yes, isn't that interesting that they're interested in a gelding? This is a private party (family with children) who just enjoy trail riding and driving. They do barefoot trims and natural horsemanship. Her lifelong dream has been to have a mustang...let's hope it comes true!

    {Linda} I wish it could be that easy. It's looking like he has to do a 30 day quarantine prior to boarding the plane...really complicated...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story, and how wonderful if your local boy really gets to go international!! I have some friends that area always going overseas and getting horses. I know they have to do lots of paper work and vet work, and such. But I haven't done it. I really hope he finds a wonderful home in Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can help! Anyone who wants to ship a horse to Europe, I would love to offer information - I had no one to ask when I did it in September. It was really rough on me, not knowing how it goes. Now I know and no one has asked yet: )

    Will you be flying with your horse or will you hire a groom?

    Hope I can help,

    ~lytha in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  14. He sure is a pretty horse! I hope he enjoys Norway! I just found your blog this morning! Come see mine! (I actually have 7!). Here's my horse one http://deserthorses.blogspot.com/
    ~~Cheryl Ann~~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lytha, thanks for your reply via email...it is quite helpful. I don't intend to go with him, even though it's tempting! The buyer would be taking care of all of the costs to get him to Norway, so he'll have a groom...unless the buyer wants to fly here and fly back with Brego!

    ReplyDelete
  16. he is beautiful and I admire your work with him they are just amazing horses...god bless ya both I have faith he will end up where he will be treasured as he should be....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a good home if it works out. We have exported horses to Canada and Hawaii. Hawaii is definitely more of a challenge. Each country has their own requirements. But some requirements are common. Negative EIA test (Coggins), Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI or Passport), current vaccine requirements from veterinarian (area determined), Hawaii requires topical insecticide and quarrentine requirements.
    I would advise the potential buyers in Norway calling their local veterinarian. They should be aware of all requirements. Hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tell them I'd hire on as the groom! I'd love to go to Norway!!
    We are shipping a stud to Hawaii in April and luckily for us...the owner has to do all of the leg work. (we may sneak in as stow-aways, as we'd like to go to Hawaii too!)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~