Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Weekly Top Shot

Well, another great blogger is back from a blogging break...Madge Bloom at The View From Right Here.

She hosts the Weekly Top Shot meme which I always enjoyed. Glad you're back Madge!!

As of today, we are officially done with calving season as Number Three gave us a beautiful bull calf at 7:22 AM! Well, most of you know that we have a VERY small herd. But the amazing thing is that all five cows calved within one week! The sire, Willy, was a busy boy last spring and didn't waste any time in getting his job done!


As the morning sun came up yesterday, I found this calf snuggled warmly in the hay pile.
It always amazes me how their natural instincts begin immediately at birth.
Within the first half hour, they're up on their feet and nursing.
They also know the best places to stay warm and hidden from predators.

Thanks again Madge for hosting!


6 comments:

  1. Oh Karen, he's so very, very cute! It has been since my childhood the last time I saw a cow or mare give birth, it is a rare moment of wonder! Thanks for the 'plug,' for WTS... and for coming by sharing your creative photography on the Weekly Top Shot, #168!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! It amazes me too. The natural instinct to find the faucet immediately!
    Go Willy Go!
    All our heifers calved withing their due date. Except 2! Still waiting. They were popping em out 7 a day!
    Enjoy the sunshine and beautiful weekend!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific that everything came together in one week....thanks for sharing your slice of life♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/palmed-orb/

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so sweet when they are first born and get those wobbly legs moving. It's like they look around and are amazed at the world they entered :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~