Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

McLeod's Daughters~A Review

It all started with a post from a fellow blogger...remember Pony Girl Rides Again???!!! Way back...way back...way back when...she posted that she was going to watch the first episode of a TV series called McLeod's Daughters.



This series is from Australia TV and based around 5 women running a cattle and sheep ranch named "Drover's Run." How could I resist!!! In March of 2009 we found McLeod's Daughters on Netflix (the only TV we watch) and tonight, April 16, 2011, and 224 episodes later, we watched the finale.

Two hundred twenty-four episodes?!? Yep...8 seasons. I gotta tell ya, Australians know how to do TV...that averages out to 28 episodes per season!!! They actually give you something to watch!

I have to say that the first few episodes were a bit corny to our standards because they were doing "rodeo" and laying out the backgrounds for the characters.  Now Australian rodeo is probably different than what we are accustomed to here in the USA, but we didn't have anything to compare it to, so we (we meaning My Man and I) focused on the characters; we enjoyed the animals...cattle, sheep, horses, and dogs...and the terminology. It was educational! Muster is gather, drench is worm, drove is trail...you get my meaning. It was GREAT! BTW, they cleaned the water troughs continually...more than I can say for my troughs (they were makin' me feel guilty)!

I really enjoyed this series for a lot of things...(all photos are courtesy of McLeod's Daughters photo gallery)...


Action...on horses of course!...


Romance...and beautiful weddings...


Horses!!...


Lots of horses!!...


Interesting relationships...


Gorgeous scenery...

And there is so much more...

There were many times that tears were shed...yes, I do cry quite often. There were times when I wished a character would just GO AWAY because they were so irritating  to me...

And, you should know by now that I like my music, and I thoroughly enjoyed the music in this series; especially this main song...





McLeod's Daughters gets a "two thumbs up" from the Rough String Ranch...hope you get a chance to see it if you haven't already!


17 comments:

  1. This was on in the UK for ages!! Saw some, but got a bit soppy at times, liked the none "girly" bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have peaked my interest - going to have to check this out!

    http://jentsfrontporch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do netflix and I am looking for that one!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing bits and pieces of
    Drover's Run years ago. I glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol At this point and time, i am looking into getting an australian saddle for out here - because after 37 years of riding in huntseat, I just cant get used to all the leather of western saddle, but recognize there is a reason why they ride in them here...

    so can i call watching 224 episodes of "McLeods daughters" research?
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not heard of the show but will definitely check it out as it sounds like something we'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came on TV here in Canada (must be our British influence).....I never watched it much but I might now;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this show! However, I didn't watch it after a few seasons when they changed some key characters. I won't say too much, don't want to spoil it. But it is a wonderful show. Beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Netflix and will check this out. I'm tired of what our TV has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched this show for several seasons until it moved to a cable channel we didn't get. I never thought it would be on Netflix!

    But the TV remotes have been put away for the summer and I will have no time to watch 224 hours of TV until freezeup in November. I marked it on October's calendar though so I will be watching this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive heard of it, but never thought much about watching it but since you reviewed it it sounds real good so I might have to watch it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful series ... the kind you hate to see end. We are going to have to try Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss that show. IT was great yep there were some corny bits and I am sure that no one else cleans their troughs that much in real life, and some of the things they did on their farm were a little strange. A friend and I used to watch every thursday night, I would go to her house and we would laugh and cry. though its been finished here for a while as we (in NZ) got to see it pretty soon after it was first screened in Austraila.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOOKED!
    After reading this I looked it up, ordered Netflix for the sole purpose of watching this series and much to my children and husbands dismay - I am completely hooked - I love it!
    Thank you for writing about it!

    http://jentsfrontporch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. i absolutely love this show. if you have not seen it before please see asap!! it is the best. such an awesome show. i want to see it again. it pulls you all over the place. so many emotions. i wanted to move to Australia right away. the hubby & i know nothing about farming. but i want to learn. it was that great of a show. ha. ha!! i'm a new follower. i love your work. take care. (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're watching this now, and we're really enjoying the series.
    But I've noticed that in the beginning Previously On segment, they show scenes that weren't in any of the previous episodes. But Netflix has them in order and we aren't skipping any.
    Did you notice that happening when you watched the show?

    On a character note, does Jodi Fountain ever break out of her selfishness? My goodness, she irritates me to pieces! We're into the 3rd season now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Katie for visiting. My gosh...I wrote this almost two years ago. My husband and I miss watching this show...wish it would have just gone on forever!!!

    Yes, we noticed some shots that were not in the show...no clue why except they had to cut the show down to fit the time slot but used the shots to advertise anyway.

    LOL...Jodi...you'll just have to keep watching ;~)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~