Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Excitement?

~There is no safety out here on the plains.
If it's not the wind, it'll be something else.~
~Mrs. Colby Penn 1865~

Nope...not much excitement goin' on 'round here! I just got done with a round of Cattle & Sheep Ag Surveys...glad that's done!

I'm formulating a plan to get back on some horses...um...like Colt & Gus who haven't been ridden since before Thanksgiving. The options for indoor facilities are very few 'round here, but there are some. That's going to have to be my plan of attack...trailering the boys a couple days a week.

The conditions just aren't conducive to riding at home right now~

This photo was taken on December 29, 2010.
 After a long day of rain on frozen ground, then
 the temps dropped again...it doesn't make for a very useful training pen!

I took this photo this mornin'. Three weeks of sub-freezing temps has left the ground
with 8 inches of frozen top soil...then comes the rain with no where to go.

It's nothin' serious like a flood or anything...yet...it's just frustrating. I'm very thankful that we didn't get the 12-16 inches of snow that Burns and the surrounding areas got. They've got snow piled everywhere, and now it's raining. There could very well be some serious flooding in the northern part of the county.

What have we been doing?

My Man and I need to get a brand registered for the cows & calves. I never thought it would be so difficult to design a brand...which of course has to be unique. We need to send in a minimum of 4 brands in order of preference. When we know which one is accepted, I'll make a sketch and post it. It's a lil' exciting for us. Speaking of cows, Annabelle and Ellie May are doin' just fine...we expect them to calve between early to mid April.

I'm still getting used to my new PC and the new software. I opted to get Elements 9 and it's like Greek to me, but I've figured out how to do a few simple things in it so far. I also got a new desktop publishing program called PagePlus X5, and so far I really like that program. I've got to get started on the next Horsefly too!

Last week we woke up on Friday to faucets that wouldn't give us any water...say what? It's cold, but not so cold that the whole ranch froze up. After a visit from the water pump crew...and then the electrician guy, we find out that there's a bad connection in the buried electrical line to the well holding tank somewhere between the shop and the house...sixty feet...of frozen ground. They got us fixed up with a temporary above ground line. When the permafrost is gone, the rental place will rent us a ditch digger, so we can put in a new permanent line. We were so thankful that it wasn't something really serious. All the stock water comes from that well too!

It's still pouring down rain. Bummer.

Well, my list of 'to do's' is long, so off I go...hope everyone has a great upcoming weekend!!

15 comments:

  1. Don't you just love winter? YUCK. If you'd like to try something in PS Elements, and don't know how, just post the questions and I'll tell you how to do it. Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes sounds pretty yucky with all that wet ground. We had a snow storm and so we cant even see the ground. No outdoor riding in our newar future either, but thankfully we got an indoor where I board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used L&H to manufacture our freeze iron, they did a great job.

    Remember too to check the online listing of expired brands that are available, there are some nice ones saving you the design headache.
    Are you going to register the cows and horses with the same mark?
    A fire iron would allow you to use the same on horses and cows alike.
    L&H does them too.
    Saving the expense of 2 kinds of irons as freeze isn't so practical for cows.

    Can't wait to see what you decide.
    Yeah we have the same ice and mud issue, I trimmed feet yesterday just before the big thaw, glad I did too cause the horses are now slogging through the muck.

    Warmer is great except for the thawing ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, we got rain and plenty of it too! I much prefer the cold, dry and frozen weather myself...frozen mud is good. :) So good to hear that news about Kate! We talked on the phone for a long while, and I really got a good feeling about her. Have you met Eagle?? He's a fine lookin' boy, I think! Not sure why, but I just can't seem to get that horse outa my mind...I need another horse like I need more rain! But...don't think Harley's gonna work out as my main rider. So hard to know what to do! If only $$ weren't an issue, that Bay would be in my barn already!! Thanks Karen, for the info...and the invite!! Maybe one of these days, who knows? Would be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! Total sympathy about the ice, we have "permafrost" still!!!! The rain here is just pouring off the land!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could take up ice skating...Looks like you have a good rink going. LOL

    Isn't coming up with a 'neat' but acceptable brand fun? (NOT)

    Our weather sure is nice here now, for January, but the ground is not conducive to riding much. I think I am going to have to start hauling to an indoor a few days a week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy........as usual. It's snowing again here and if those pens were here they'd probably be drifted over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, that's a good thing it wasn't anything more serious with your water. But still, going to be a project to do!
    I see why you wouldn't want to ride at home, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy, and same here it is not conducive to ride here either, I have no indoor facilities and the ground is covered in lots of snow and very cold temps! Next week calling for mix of snow and rain at 30 degrees whats up with that! Nothing is worse than having no water! I hate it when we run out of hot water. Take care and don't work too hard ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness for temporary fixes.
    I think every one is the same boat, winter up to their butt and busy.
    Stay warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your outdoors looks "treacherous." Glad you got your pump problem at least temporarily fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least your problem was electrical, and not a frozen or burst water line below that frozen ground. Not much riding going on here either, it's icy and the only indoor arena is at the top of an icy hill- not driving up that! I did sneak a little ride the other day when the ice softened up a little. It's s'posed to rain the next few days here, so who knows when I'll get to ride next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. uhmmm, youre making my winter looking like a picnic lol! Sending wishes for warm sunshine and an early spring your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just thankful we don't have those cold temps! Ugh, don't think I could handle it.

    Designing a brand is fun! We've had ours forever. Of course, my wedding band has it on it, a necklace, the husband's tattoo. It's everywhere! Can't wait to see what you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cowgirl Rae~Thanks for the info on L & H...bookmarked their site for future reference.

    C-ingspots~No, I haven't met Eagle...and I might get lucky and see Kate once a year! I really think you should consider him...hint ;~)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~