Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Saturday, August 21, 2010

48 Years of Friendship!

 ~You'll learn nothin' if only good things happen to you.~
~Mary C. Clayton 1886~

FaceBook can be a real time wasting machine if you let it, but it has some great benefits too...like hooking up with old friends who you've lost track of!

Take for instance my very best friend beginning in 1962:

My 6th birthday party; Lynda and me...a party of two!
Lynda and her family moved into a house just a couple of miles up the road from us. Our mothers must have thought it was a good idea to get to know each other since their daughters were just one year apart. Lynda and I spent lots of time together. Grade school came and then high school; we were still friends, but lost track of each other a few years after that.

We found each other on FB about a year ago. Lynda asked where we lived, and she asked if it was anywhere close to Seneca...well, in this part of the state, you could say it was just the next town north...only about 1 1/2 hours is all. Well, come to find out, Lynda's mother-in-law lives in Seneca, and they were planning a trip up to Oregon (from LA, CA) and the plan was formed.

48 years of friendship!

Yesterday, Lynda, her husband Dan, daughter Kirsten, and Kirsten's boyfriend James came for a visit and BBQ. There was lots of catching up to do. We figured it was about 20 years since we'd last seen each other. Our mothers kept in close contact with each other until they passed away in 2003 and 2004.

We reminisced about what we remembered about the houses we lived in and some of the adventures...like skinny dippin' in our irrigation pond, floating on the logs and catchin' polliwogs...ahhhh the days when we didn't have a care in the world!

The afternoon and evening went all too quickly...there's more to talk about than I could think of at the time...so, Lynda, remember all the summers of swimming lessons at the Hillsboro pool and going to the Plaid Pantry for slushies and a treat?!?

Well, we're not going to let 20 years pass by before we see each other again!

(we'll probably both still be wearing bangs LOL)

15 comments:

  1. I just loved this post! Don't let another 20 years go by ... yet you both really do look like you did on your 6th Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story made my eyes a little bit sweaty..........

    You are a lucky lady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, aren;t old freinds the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see YOUR dad must have taken bang cutting lessons from MY dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great to connect with old friends. One of FB's redeeming qualities, no doubt. I love stories like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! So glad you long lost friend and you found each other!!!
    right don't lose touch with each other again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got sweaty eyes too. Thanks for sharing that little bit joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL...yep, sweaty eyes...I got sweaty eyes when Lynda drove up to the front of the house...totally unexpected at the time...but when tears flowed for both of us, it only brought us closer and renewed our lifelong friendship.

    AKPonyGirl~it was actually my mom who did the home hair cuts. My dad wouldn't have been allowed within 10 feet of us kids with a scissors to trim hair! But, Lynda and I both had commented on how mine were way too short...and her's were crooked...that's just the way is was back then!

    Thanks everyone for your sweet comments...very touching...and made me get 'sweaty eyes' again ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is pretty awesome! Not many people can say that they have a friend like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what sweet memories and how wonderful that you were able to get back together and meet each other's families! This was a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, that is so cool :) Love those pics, it's almost exactly the same :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it was always the "outdoor" girls who always got their hair cut short...called the pixie cut :P you two must have had a ton of adventures ~ wonderful to catch up to today !

    (I dont think I had hair past my shoulders until age 13 lol)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol! My hair looked just like you two's hair did. I don't remember when my bangs were lost....probably in the 80's when 'wings' we're in. Remember them? I had to try my wings with hair tape...remember that? lol! Those were the days.

    This was a great post. You two still look like beautiful little girls even today :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful post! So glad you could catch up with your friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~