Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Friday Fences ~ The Filly

This lil' weanling filly is here at my place for weaning from her mother and basic halter training. She's got a very pretty smokey buttermilk dun color and her leg markings are not really bars, they're more like honeycombs.

Fenced In, Fenced On
The mornin' shadows created an interesting photo. I'm naming it
Fenced In, Fenced On.
Because of the zoom, she looks all boxed in, but the panel on the right is actually parallel to the round rail fence...and the row of sagebrush is an eighth of a mile behind her! In actuality, there are three fences, one gate and a panel in this photo!


The Filly
She's an active lil' girl...hard to get her to stand still for a decent photo!

Yes, that's a small scratch below her left eye...of course I can't figure out how she did it, but it was just the hair that got scraped off, it didn't puncture her skin.


This is the pattern on her legs. I think she's going to be a very
flashy girl when she grows up!

We just call her The Filly because I don't know if Ty gave her a name yet or not! She's been here since about December 14. Ty unloaded both the mare and filly into the run, and then we haltered the mare and loaded her back into the trailer and he left.

I had my Ol' Man Toby in the run next to her, but of course she cried for about a week. But, she's all over that now and is really coming along quickly. She learned how to lead the first day I worked with her (Dec 26...I had my hands full at the Post Office), but she had the "I don't want to" work ethic. She's getting over that very quickly since I am just staying soft and consistent with her.

When I'm finished with her training for the day, she follows me around like a puppy wanting more. She's fun to have around. I haven't halter trained a youngster for quite a few years. I enjoy shaping their minds so they can live a good life with respect for the human not fear and learn how to be a partner.

Check out the other participants on this week's Friday Fences over at Life According to Jan and Jer!

18 comments:

  1. Hi there, just found your blog! I'm so glad I did. Off to look at more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess, from those legs, is that in the spring shed shed out that baby coat and be a nice grulla. She is a cutie! I haven't bred any for a couple of years now, due to the market, but you make me want a baby around...
    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty little Filly she is! Great pics too...love the shadows on the first shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's very cute! I'm sure she'll be a beautiful mare when she grows up -- with impeccable manners of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your right she is a very pretty filly. By the looks of her chest, I would guess that she is going to be a large horse. Have fun! And Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh she's lovely! What a pretty head she has, too. And the unique markings.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. What unusual leg markings! Very pretty!

    What a good start she's off to, too!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed this post - purty filly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's quite an optical illusion with that fence, I got a bit dizzy...he he. I just lover her little lips all pursed up like that in the second photo, makes me giggle. She's a real cutie! I am glad you are the one to show her the early ropes. She will keep your interactions with her forever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The filly is beautiful and I love your 'Fenced In Fenced On' shot!
    I feel so badly when animals are weaned and cry for their mamas. But, I realize it has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She really is a pretty little girl! I love that first shot, with the shadows across her!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is a real pretty little filly. I am suprised she cried so much, when I weaned it seemed they only cried a time or two (or in the case of Jazz not at all)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a little cutie. Foals are so much fun. We're working with ours on leading and turning. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, I really like her! that coloring is beautiful with the perfect white star! Will her legs be striped?
    The weanling colt here at the ranch (well he'll be weaned soon....) has had too much handling I think, he's a bit of stinker. He'll need to learn some respect. He was spoiled and played with and had lots of attention from day one!
    Hope you had a happy holiday! Wishing you the best in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She sure is a pretty little thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cutie!!! I hope you have a great 2012..:-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~