Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday Stills ~ Numbers


The Sunday Stills photo challenge this week was Numbers.

There are numbers around us everywhere we look...here are my two for the week...





The morning sun filtering through the bare
limbs of the elm tree made interesting
yet pretty shadows on the house.

What I really like is feeding critters in the daylight...the
days are getting longer!!! And daylight saving time
begins next weekend!!






They were just numbers.
Like in a prison camp.
But not any longer.

These numbered tags were worn by wild horses
gathered by the BLM.
They were adopted and given a new lease on life.
Rohan, Duncan and a cute lil' mare that a friend
of ours adopted back in 2006.


Check out some of the other Sunday Stills participant's photos by going here in the comments.

Enjoy your Sunday~~

TransparentSig

19 comments:

  1. Great choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your house number! Tracey did mustang numbers too. Nice to see the tags hanging on the wall instead of around their necks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice numbers job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures of numbers, I also love your house numbers sign. Awww, the horse numbers, good to see them hanging there instead of on the horse, so true!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, especially the horse tags :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the horse tags too! Especially what they symbolize...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the house number sign.

    Feeling a little stupid here, but am not sure why those tags are better "hanging on the wall than around a horse"...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your house number!! I had NO idea they tagged wild horses....I always thought they were branded with a number on their neck. I like your prize horse rug too last post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. VioletSky~No question is ever stupid. I'm very glad you asked. In a nut shell: America's wild horses are protected by law. The Bureau of Land Management is responsible for them. When deemed that there are too many, the BLM gathers the excess horses (many disagree with when and how, but that's another whole story). But after gathering the horses off of the range, the BLM records each of these horses and assigns each a number (with one of these tags around their neck). The horses are then put up for public adoption.

    So, these tags that are hanging in my barn are from previously wild horses that used to run wild and free on America's public lands and were removed. They've been "adopted" and gentled and two of these tags belong to horses that have been part of our family here at the Rough String and one tag belonged to a friend of ours (which I'm holding onto until the next time I see him to give it to him). I hope that explains why it's good to see the numbered tags "not" on the horse.

    Again...I'm very glad you asked. Happy trails~~

    ReplyDelete
  10. We both said that numbers are everywhere and we both put an equine twist on them... great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures. I didn't have a chance to get pictures this week having been in the BIIIG city (toronto) for the past few days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm partial to the house number sign;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooo i'm a fan of your first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sad story behind the tags....but also a good ending. Boy, your house address sure is high-numbered. lol! I love the design, though.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great house number..you captured it perfectly! ..and the horse tags are better on the nail:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the explanation to this city woman! it all makes sense now (now that I think about it, I've never seen a horse wearing a tag like the cows and sheep and pigs...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pics! And nice to see Mustangs in a good home - the next best thing to the open range.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~