Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Stills ~ A Day in the Life


The challenge for this week's Sunday Stills photo shoot was "A Day in the Life"...pick a day and pack your camera with you.

Only four photos can be submitted.

Last week was a pretty boring week around the ranch...working on taxes, Horsefly articles and ads, and watching the wind blow tumbleweeds and snow...not a lot for interesting photography.

But yesterday the clouds parted just in time for branding at a neighboring ranch. We did it the "modern" way (using a table) vs "traditional" (roping and dragging calves to the fire). It may not be nearly as fun or interesting as the traditional way, but we got a lot of calves done...80 bull calves and 72 heifers...it was a long day...but fun was had by all!







Branding irons heating up in the propane fire.






Smoke fills the air as the hair is scorched...a smell
that clings to everything and is hard to get out
of your nose at the end of the day.







The lil' red whiteface calf (who already went
through the process) came up to give the lil' black
calf some moral support as he's banded for castration.
The girls on the fence had the best time...nothing
like being raised on a ranch!






Kids and animals...they always make the perfect photo.


See what everyone else at Sunday Stills has been up to by clicking here and checking the comments.

TransparentSig

19 comments:

  1. Very interesting day in the life shots. Looks like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. I loved the last shot of the calf and little girl...too sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure are right about the kids and animals making great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. No one around here brands their cows at all. or horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That header is awsome!!!! I feel as if I am standing right beside him looking out over the range.

    www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots! Love the comforting touch in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all great photos! That last shot is gorgeous..and speaks volumes! Very interesting..as far as I am concerned you have the best day so far!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots, looks like you were busy as a bumblebee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busy day for the babies. The brand shot is really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures! love the little girl comforting the calf who must have been hurting after the branding and castration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pics. Quite a week you had. Of course, the last shot is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a city girl, and have always wondered about branding. Do the cattle feel the pain?

    This week, some farms are opened to people like me so we know more about the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a city girl, and have always wondered about branding. Do the cattle feel the pain?

    This week, some farms are opened to people like me so we know more about the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Branding and castration, what a fun day..;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhhhhhhhhhh ouch lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure enjoyed all 4 photos! But I'll tell you what, those last two --- loved 'em! The one calf giving the other "moral support" was too cool, and the girl petting the calf was just plain SWEET. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the last pic.......I can hardly wait for branding season here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 4 great photos, Karen. And a good productive day! Last shot is lovely but I love the branding iron shot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love brandings..esp. when it is a family affair! Kids that grow up around the calfs get a special treat!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~