Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Harney County Reined Cow Horse Futurity-2010 (Colt)

~If men want to smell like cattle, they should bed down with them.~
~Kathleen Madder 1919~

This year sure went fast...another show season is done. I've been so busy this past week with getting Colt and Gus ready for the Futurity, we haven't been visitin' anybody's blogs. When we get back from our week at Pendleton, I hope things get back to normal...missin' you all!!

Everyone thought it was a great competition this year...the weather could have been a little more cooperative, but it could have been worse. Our normal sunny 85 degree September fair days just weren't to be...cool temps, wind, clouds and quite a bit of rain. But, we all survived.

I'll let the video tell the story on Colt's herd and fence work. The reining is so boring, the I just couldn't include any of it. There's nice sunshine on Day 1 during the herd work, but Day 2 brought the heavy clouds and rain. My Man had a hard time following me because it was so dark on the camera screen...so he missed my first turn on the fence :(





LOL~listen to my friends helpin' me out...that was so cool...thank you all for your support! At the end, I wasn't sure if I'd got that final circle or if the judge blew the whistle because I ran out of time...so, that's why I asked "Did I get it?"

The results? We ended up in third place overall...I'm so proud of Colt!!!


In the Best of Company
L-R 1st place Corey Shelman, 2nd place MaryLee White, 3rd place Colt & me, Wendy Rickman giving out the awards.



Placing is an Honor
It was an honor to be in the company of two of the best horsemen in the County.
What's in that big blue bag? A really cool, fancy camping chair with a leather plaque on it...I love it!! Can't wait to take it to Pendleton!

But the day's not over yet...the finale is the "Harney County Super Horse" award. The top 10 scores of the horses in the 5 year old, 6 year old, and Senior Horse Open get to compete...we ranked #8! I was just thrilled that I made the top 10! What did we have to do? Rope...something I don't do...yet. We didn't have a chance to make it, but, what the heck, I'm not going to turn down the opportunity to get Colt into the pen and at least follow a cow!!!


Waitin' to Rope
Waiting for the "Super Horse" roping.

Colt looks like he's ready to go to sleep...and I'm sure he'd rather be home at this point...it's a rough life being a cow pony!! That was a big wad of rope in my left hand; the mecate, the romel reins, and the rope. I got lots of coaching from my friends! In fact the gal in the photo behind me is my friend Debbi, who encouraged me to continue on into the two-rein...if she hadn't, I wouldn't have been here...thanks Deb!


Gettin' into the herd...


...got one separated...


...and a big miss!
(These were stills from the camera movie, so that's why they're so small)


Needless to say, we didn't catch, but Colt was right there following and trying. He stayed calm and listened to everything I asked him to do...even though I didn't know what I was doin'! The up side on this is that we got invited to help brand some calves this fall, we got invited to another friend's place where her husband (who's a darn good roper) will give me a lesson, and one of the best ropers in the county told me that I had a really nice horse and that he should be headin' steers off of him! I was proud as punch...even though I was pretty embarrassed!

Who won the "Harney County Super Horse"? Well...my friend Debbi!! Whooohoooo! Go Cowgirls!!!

So, that was Colt's big news...I'll get a post up for Gus' debut in his 2 year old halter class.

Thanks for all of your support and well wishes...we really appreciate your friendship!!


18 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! Having the 'try' is the important thing. Probably good you didn't catch that cow... OH NO! then what?

    Roping well is on my agenda too, I do a pretty fair job on my own horses head... LOL! I need lessons.

    Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 3rd place!!
    I love reading your stories!
    You can tell you really enjoy what you are doing!
    And by the way, I am still really jealous! LOL LOL
    Have fun at Pendleton! My brother in law and sister in law are going down for the week, and camping at the school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job!! Your man did good too;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys did awesome!!! That is so cool!!! You both look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you, watching that video,I felt like I was right there cheering you on- maybe next year you will have a blogger cheering section...just sayin'....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you! I felt, watching that video, that I was right there cheering you on- maybe next year you'll have a blogger cheering section.... just sayin'....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!! You guys did awesome, and I am so happy for you both!! That is so cool that your friend won too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! That looks like so much fun and you are so brave for trying the roping. I would be so afraid of what to do if I caught something cause I would prolly be in shock.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As we say in the southern half of the US, Well girl, ain't you something, ain't you just!

    Big hug and congrats to you and the Coltster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're off to a great start! Envy you going to Pendleton's 100th.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! You guys looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the placings and the fun! It was good visiting with you at the t rodeo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, this is awesome! Congratulations! Loved the photos. That's interesting about the roping. Hope all those future activities go great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And thats what its all about'

    Great showing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeehaw! Congrats! That turn on the fence was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~