Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Results

We got'r done!! We didn't place, but I call it a success!

Trotting into the arena up to the judge for inspection.

My man has the list of entrants, so I don't know for sure, but there were approximately 20-25 entries in the class. A LOT of nice horse flesh out there!!

As everyone knows if you compete in anything, there's a lot of preparation that goes on. Yesterday, was a full day of getting the trailer and Pierce ready. I was able to use Colt's first sheet...it fits Pierce perfectly! And, I decided to use the same halter I showed Colt in seven years ago...ahhhhh...sweet memories!

Last evening after his first ever bath.

Our success was just gettin' in there and doin' it. He was pretty good for the clipping, bathing and me fussing with his skinned up face. Patience...that's where he lacks...but will come with time.

I went out at 5 AM to feed, and he was happily laying down snoozing in the middle of his stall...shavings stuck between every mane and tail hair! Rise and shine young man!


Standing for the judge...NOT! This is one brief moment he stopped moving.

So, the process was to enter the arena one at a time, trot to the judge, set the horse up for inspection, and trot away into line. Pierce couldn't hold still, but he did trot nicely with me. As the judge came behind Pierce, he was looking at his hind legs and saying something to the ring steward/secretary...I knew this would be his fault. Amanda had mentioned that his hind legs are quite straight, and most likely, he's not going to have a very big stop. I'm quite sure that's what took him out of the competition.


Attempting to "stand" in line...we walked LOTS of circles!

But, like I said...it was a success!!! We did lots of things perfectly...loading, hauling, letting me get him ready at the trailer. It was his first time to go anywhere besides Amanda's for training...so, we'll be going LOTS of places in the next year. I'm planning on going to the saddle club events (showing western pleasure and reining class), the local cutting club for herd work...

...and we'll be going to our first Mike Bridges clinic in three weeks!! We'll be doing three days of in-hand training...which will be wonderful for the winter months when we can't ride.

So, who won the class?

~

This very handsome horse won...and well deserved I think! BTW...even though My Man chopped off the horse's head, it also had a nice head to match the body.

Allrighty then...moving on to the goal for next year...the 3 year old class!

OH yes...thanks to My Man for the awesome photos and all your support...love ya!



10 comments:

  1. Your colt looks like he's in the growthy stage. Wait till he's 4- he'll look awesome then- but he's pretty cute right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So shiny and handsome. Great job.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is just beautiful! I'm glad it all worked out just right...no having to do over and over until frustration sits in!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience will pay off with the youngster...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved all the pictures and the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya that is a nice horse that won. He sounds like a good colt and at least it wasn't a wreck, lots of new and good stuff going on there. And wow 7 years ago with colt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the hardest part with a young/new horse is just making yourself get out there the first time...and now you got that out of the way. :-)

    BTW...Pierce cleaned up really well. Not as 'ranchy' looking as what you thought he might be. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful. There is always next year, and lots of luck to you! You both tried and that is the most important thing of all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your colt really looks adorable! I agree with the first commenter that he is in the growth stage. Maybe next year will be his lucky strike. Anyway, thanks for sharing photos from the competition. I hope everyone is in the best of health!

    Armando Wise @ Equiluxe

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~