Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Oliga Indian Bridle

Last week was the Pendleton Roundup...again. We didn't go last year because of our trip to Montana, but we made it this year. We arrived home on Sunday afternoon...and I had a tickle in my throat...grrr...the beginning of a head cold :( dang!

But I'm on the mend and feel much better today! I have hundreds of photos to sort through, but thought I'd share at least one with you today.


Oliga Indian Bridle
Oliga Indian Bridle

As we were waiting for the parade to start, I had an opportunity to get a good close up of this horse wearing the Oliga Indian Bridle. I've seen this horse and rider for years at Pendleton...they are always amazing to me.

Quoting Horse Previews Magazine, "The Oliga (pronounced Oh-La-Gah) Indian Bridle is the closest thing to riding with no bridle at all! Fashioned after the Plains Indians' war-bridle, this modern version re-awakens the spirit of the Native American horseman with its ability to create a "oneness " between rider and horse."

Of course not only does this man ride with the Oliga, but he also rides bareback the whole time! That should bring out the "oneness"!! Pretty cool I think!


8 comments:

  1. Stunning horse. Love the markings and that bridle is pretty neat. You definately are living the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! How very neat that is!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed up the mountain this year but got to see the aftermath Monday morning. I can only handle all those people every few years. Sounds like you had fun though - am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered if that type of bridle goes over or under the tongue. Really cool markings on that horse, bet he looks pretty sharp in a parade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a stunning horse too. Maybe that's why we call the Indians brave?! Riding like that.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Id like to try that one day...although maybe not in a parade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shot, it is beautiful! It sounds as if the bridle and rider... and horse are very impressive together.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~