Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pierce Goes to School

I've got to admit that I had a problem with getting the Gus horse started...a mental issue mostly. It's true that I just didn't "click" with him, but I wasn't putting the time nor energy into his training like I had with Colt.  There was something stuck in my brain that kept me from just getting on and "riding" him like I've done colts in the past...I guess it would be fear of something happening.

So, that's why I decided to have someone else put the first rides on Pierce. I wanted to get him going without my mental getting in the way...and I'm very glad I made that decision. Pierce is thin skinned, literally, as well as mentally. It took Amanda 10 works before she was in the saddle on him and it usually takes her 2-4. Pierce is very feely, and I'm glad she took her time with him and didn't push him too hard...she knew how far to push without pushing him over the edge.

Amanda just ponied him from her house down the road to her training facility...Pierce did great with the traffic!

Pierce had a LOT of fun at school...especially when it was play time with his buddies across the fence. He got so bit up from face playing that Amanda had to take him to her house to keep him from getting any more beat up...all in fun of course. But, I do want to show him in the 2 year old halter class at the Futurity...we just call him scar face for now! ;)

I loaded up the LQ trailer when it was time to bring Pierce home, and I spent three days and two nights at Amanda's. Thank goodness I could do that...it's been such a help!

Fitting my gear on Pierce for the first time. He's so tiny compared to Colt!!
You can see some of his scrapes in this photo...they will heal.

The first evening, we trailered Pierce and her horse out to some sagebrush land. Amanda rode Pierce; she walked him out, asked for a trot, and not a minute later he was into a nice lope...loose rein and he was calm with a soft eye. He climbed a small hill, zig zagged through the sagebrush, she answered her cell phone, he came down the hill, we came into the water trough and called it a ride. He was awesome! No, no pics of course!

The next day, we were up early to beat the heat...but the best I can say is that there were some technical difficulties and it could have gone better. But, it was good to get on him for the first time.

Day three was much better...after I got my big girl panties on. It was much better than day two...and this video is one of three that I watch before I go out to ride Pierce...





All in all, I'm really excited about Pierce!!

And here's the new best seat at the ranch! 


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting that video. There was so much good information in just that little clip. Perfect choice for a trainer I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. If I don't click with an animal I surely cannot train it. You did well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it just keeps getting better and better every day for you two. He just looks lovely and he seemed pretty calm. I guess as long as you can keep calm he'll feed off that. Sensitive horses definitely take special considerations. I imagine as he gets older his sensitivity may wane. Oh heck, what do I know. :) I read all three post, but only commented on this one. I love that video. I really like your trainer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting the video! I like the trainer you used. He looks like a really nice horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pierce certainly madero tress with your choices!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youe trainer looks fantastic. Good luck with your new boy

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sure is nice colt. I totally understand about not wanting to train a horse you don't click with, I think that's why I had Shayla working Rio right from the start- he was never "my" horse.
    Interesting that Pierce is so feely- once you and him really get going and competitive yuo are really going to appreciate that feeliness- but it does take a little getting used to at first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the trainer and you have a sweet horse there. Nice video.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~