Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday Stills ~ Rocks and Rock Formations

~Men can be really wonderful 
when they listen to you.~ 
~Mabel Potts 1877~ 


Rocks...and more rocks...

Well, if we could grow alfalfa like we can grow rocks around here, we'd be rich!


Rock Wall
This natural fence line runs three quarters of a mile through our ranch.
Our alfalfa fields at the base of the rim have some
of the best soil in the county because through the centuries the wind
 has blown the top soil off of the upper level onto the lower level.


Hunters Full Moon
The Hunter's Full Moon rising over Hat Butte from October 11.
Buttes such as this are most common.


Over the Edge
Every little crack gathers soil has something trying to plant it's roots into it.
Over this edge is a 30 foot drop. The background is BLM land where
you can see the horizontal lines the cattle have made while grazing.


Trees Grow Anywhere
While gathering cow/calf pairs in late September it was
nice to see big trees in the Rattlesnake allotment area.
Here again, plants are growing out of the rock.


The Trail Narrows
Two weeks ago we did a two day cattle drive taking Rancher Dan's
mother cows to his winter ranch in the Princeton area.
This gap in the trail is one of my favorites spots where the
trail narrows. I believe the gap is natural even though
the electrical lines go through.


One Night Stop at the Ranch
I always love looking at this small butte. We have arrived at the
half way point on the two day drive. The cows are watered and fed,
and we meet back here first thing in the morning to drive them
the rest of the way...another 14 miles.


Sage & Blue Sky
This pretty view is on the edge of the Diamond Craters...a very
unique 17,000 acres of volcanic rock formations.

Check out the other participants in this week's Sunday Stills!!

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics. I love the natural rock formations & scenery (even better when its through a good horse's ears) ;)

    btw nice header

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like CDN said!
    I envy you the cattle drive.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos. My favorite is the cattle going through the narrow opening between the rocks. It draws the eye forward and is just wonderful composition.

    But I have to ask, Rattlesnake Allotment? Do we really need an allotment of rattlesnakes? lol!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. How marvelous! Its always a real pleasure to read your posts, and examine your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new header!! Colt is gorgeous!!!!!

    Great pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures. The second picture is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gtyyup, That was great, almost like getting to ride along. always enjoy your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some cool rocks you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the pictures - thanks for sharing! I love seeing rocks and layers in the earth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love a natural rock fence like that.....nothing much to fix;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In a word AWESOME. Love the new Header.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures and LOVE the new header. OMG that Colt is one gorgeous hunk of horse flesh!!! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found your blog through the Sunday Stills site, I am glad I did, Great Photos and I love your blog, What a wonderful place you have.
    Maggie LR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice captures! My fav is second to last, gotta love a cattle drive with views like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures. I especially love that first one. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic shots, the full moon shot is just beautiful..:-))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the rock pictures, especially the one of all the cows headed toward the natural V in the land.
    I love the new header too!
    Thanks for the travelogue!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice! Cool shots:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice, I loved them all Karen. I'm sorry I missed you on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~