Howdy 'n Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee, and enjoy the ride! You can contact me at gtyyup at wildblue dot net. See ya on down the trail!
All photos and content on this blog are exclusively mine, unless noted.
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Friday, February 24, 2012

The Pete French Round Barn

This is another photo taken during last weekend's cattle drive to Diamond that I posted about yesterday. We are lucky to have an awesome, historic building in our county. The Pete French Round Barn.

Built in the late 1800's, the barn was used to train horses to pull freight wagons during the winter months. If you like history, there is a very interesting book titled "Untamed Land: The Death of Pete French & The End of the Old West" that tells an accurate history of Pete French and how Harney County came to be one of the first cattle rich areas of the West.

Spring Storms in Winter
Spring Storms in Winter
Pete French Round Barn

I'm participating in Jan & Jer's Friday Fences blog hop...come on along!

Also posting for SkyWatch Friday.


15 comments:

Barb said...

Nice post. I love a history lesson, and teamed with great pictures its even better :)

Cheyenne said...

Always interested in this blog, always plenty to learn, and look at!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful scene.

Regards and best wishes

Rose said...

This is another scene I would never tire of...

Kim, USA said...

Such an awesome photo.

SWF

Carletta said...

Just looking at all that space - wow, how appealing on a day to day basis that would be.
A lovely landscape image!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, such beautiful terrain!

Val said...

In my part of WI we have many round barns some of them are historical sites and others are active farms.

Powell River Books said...

Looks like beautiful country for riding. - Margy

Southwest Arkie said...

Gorgeous scenery- would love to wake up every morning to this!

Linda said...

I would love to wake up to that view every day instead of the city I live in! I love the wide open spaces...beautiful shot!

Linda said...

Also...in answer to your question, I used a lightbox for my photos on This or That Thursday...built it using instructions from someone on Blogger. I am loving it! It makes all the difference in the world!

jewaicious said...

What a lovely capture of nature's beauty, along with weather.

5 Starr's Farm said...

Love Eastern Oregon ........

Madge Bloom said...

Beautiful! I love your background photo... my husband and I love eastern OR, and spent several days in Burns... drove through Diamond and saw the round barn (I've got some great shots of it...)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin