Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

After Calving? Brandin'!

~My task in life is to be a happy woman.~
~Mabel Collins 1887~

Last Thursday, my older brother, brother-in-law, and a friend of theirs came to hunt sage rats for four days. So, it was a whirlwind of activity...when I'm not that good at being a hostess. But, we all had a great time, ate Traeger BBQ dinners and caught up on lots of family stuff.

Friday, we got another taste of spring; 70 degrees and yard work. Saturday...well, the wind woke everyone up...then the rain came...then the snow...crazy weather!

Monday, My Man got the day off and we went brandin' at the neighbors. It was supposed to be 60 degrees, but it never made it there, and the wind was a lil' bit stout too (you can tell by the layers of clothes). But everyone had a great time...


Gotcha
Joe and Pat (my farrier) makin' a catch...the heeler then brings the calf
 to the fire while the header follows along with a slack rope. The
ground crew then flanks the calf to the ground and places
the head rope on the two front hooves and the
riders keep the ropes taught.



Tossin' a Loop
Good lookin' horses 'n buckaroos...always fun to watch.



Catchin' Heels
Jeff catchin' two heels.



Irons in the Fire
The fire has to be tended just right to keep the
irons hot enough to make a good brand.



Holdin' Steady
Pat and Jeff each have the heels on their two calves...the horses hold steady
while the calf is branded, vaccinated, the ears are notched, and
if it's a bull calf, he's castrated.



Burnin' Hair
My Man is laying on the brand while Bossman Dan looks on.



Yum! Lunch!
And when the works all done...Gretchen's Dutch oven cookin'...The BEST!

The day before that (Sunday) we helped brand at the 3J Ranch...look at the beautiful blue skies!! It wasn't 70 degrees, but the sun sure was warming.


Cotton Clouds
Cotton Clouds



Teamwork
The calves were separated from the cows and then ran
through the calf table; vaccinated, branded, castrated.



Layin' on the Iron
Grandpa places the brand. He's been using this
 same brand for 50 years...family tradition.

Wednesday will be sorting pairs for the 3J getting them ready to move out to spring pasture and Saturday I'll help trailing a herd across the desert with Bossman Dan...Colt's gettin' his fair share of cow work in!



14 comments:

  1. That was a great post, I am a green horn and don't know a lot about ranching except what I learn from my bloggers and books and magazines and such. I have to say that I would love to sure experience it some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you help one another. We used to do that during haying season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, what a life. I love your pics, and I especially love that grey horse. What a picture he makes!! And dutch oven cooking too? Oh yum... Dang I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are breathtaking -- I swear I can smell the fire in the crispy air. And those are some handsome cowboys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pic's!! I'm looking forward to branding but we have to get calved out first;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gtyyup, Wow! I sure like that big stout grey. Thats some thing I really miss,sure enjoy reliving memories threw your wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now thats a post!!!I have read it several times, loved it, and can honestly say, I am truly envious! (in a nice way)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any "mountain oysters" cookin' in those Dutch ovens? :) Great action shots, I enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures! I love that you say the wind was 'stout' I haven't heard that expression in ages!!
    Love the post! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice day! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just out of curiosity....
    do the calfs get any local anesthesia while being castrated?
    Great photos as usual!
    Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  12. dibear~No, they weren't in the Dutch ovens...but they did save them up for later...I love calf fries!

    HBFG~No. Each calf is on the ground less than a minute. It's done quickly and the calf is up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this post! Very interesting, and I learned some stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~