Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sometimes It's Hard to be Wordless

~I've never had a store-bought dress,
but I'd sure like to.~
~Ruby Dell 1888~

It's Wordless Wednesday, and I just don't have it in me today. I've been working hard on getting the February Horsefly publication done since that's what I was supposed to be doin' last weekend...but the coyotes messed all that up...and no pretty photos to share either...

But, of course, Cindy Sue is still the center of attention 'round here...which she usually is anyway...coyote attack or not!


"Mom, do I have to wear this dang thing?"

Here she's sporting her new Elizabethan collar...yes, that's an old sock with stuffin' in it...but hey, it works, and it's a hell of a lot better than the big plastic lamp shade...and it was quite economical too! Our farm store didn't carry the inflatable kind, and the store clerk gave me the "sock" suggestion...perfect!

For an update...her water intake is good...so very thankful for that. Yesterday, she didn't have much of an appetite though. She wouldn't eat any breakfast...or lunch...but I decided to play a mind game with her, and I got her to eat some dinner. Competition is always fierce when it comes to everyone gettin' treats. So, I lined up Cowboy, Abby, Bella Jo and the Princess for a feeding line. One piece of chicken for Cowboy...two pieces for Cindy Sue. One piece for Abby...two pieces for Cindy Sue...etc on down the line.

We did that for about 5 rounds...and Cindy Sue decided she was full and walked away...but it worked!

This AM, she ate pretty good...but still needs to have her chicken pieces hand fed to her...I hope this doesn't turn into a habit!!

We go into the vet on Friday afternoon for a check-up. There has been nothing coming out of the drain in her tummy, so the vet said on Monday when she saw her that it might come out early.

OK...back to work...and trying to get around to read some blogs too!

Happy Wednesday...Wordless or otherwise~


27 comments:

  1. Cindy Sue I love you! Soft hug poor baby. She looks good even with her little collar;) Whew you sound busy. I hope your day goes smooth and productive:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sock collar! What a great idea. She looks brighter for sure. Wonder if the antibiotics are making her tummy upset. Would she eat a little pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea with the sock collar! Will use that if ever need to for Tootsie. Glad to hear Cindy is improving, hope that nasty drain comes out on Friday. Both my girls went to the vet, have UTI's, got a shot of penicillin, which Tootsie promptly reacted to. 1/2 Benedryl and cold compresses around her snout, she's okay this morning. ~~sigh~~ Scared me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to here she's still top dog in the competition! She looks cute with her "collar" on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy Sue looks like one of those little princesses with a ruffled collar. I'm wishing that all is back to normal, for all of you, as soon as possible, but in the meantime just take it one little improvement at a time. Give all the pups a little pat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I'm just getting around to seeing this and it scares me. I'm glad Cindy Sue is doing better. I've been keeping an eye on Tink when we're there, but now, I'm going to suggest the men folk start shooting and scaring the coyotes off! If they didn't eat the dang ground squirrels I'd say shoot the coyotes.

    Sending healing vibes Cindy's way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sock collar is an awesome idea!! Is Cindy Sue still on pain killers? that may be affeting her appetite too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her eyes are much brighter, and yep, I bet the hand feeding does become a habit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All hail queen Cindy Sue in her fashionable elizabethan collar..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear that little Cindy Sue's doing better!! Bless her little heart!! And, that sock collar idea is the best - I'll definitely remember that one if/when I need one of those collars again. Great idea! Very clever food manipulation too Karen...wink...momma's always win!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen I am so happy to hear Cindy Sue is feeling better. I just scrolled down and saw your last few posts. Those are some nasty looking wounds poor little thing.That sock looks like a brilliant idea, it looks pretty comfortable ...something to remember just in case. Well I hope you continue to see improvement...way to go Cindy Sue. I'm sure your care and feeling for Cindy Sue have a little something to do with her getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Cindy Sue :( Hope she gets better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cindy Sue is looking better, wants to be hand fed, ha ha...well, after she is sick! Glad she is on the mend. The sock collar is a great idea and not expensive either. I always hated to have to use those ugly lamp shade on dogs or cats. The sock is much more user friendly!
    Get better little dog!!!
    hugs to all.....
    jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sock is a great idea!
    Ahhh, the competition thing. We've seen that work before in our household!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing the sock idea. It definitely looks more comfortable than the plastic spaceman helmet my dogs were given when neutered. I'm glad she's coming along with her appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sock seems to work great..what a fantastic idea!! She looks good today..you got some food down her..what ever it takes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well? Doesnt she look a little bit perkier!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sock collar is a great idea, and its gotta be more comfy that a cone or an inflatable collar!!

    Glad to hear she seems to be improving :)

    Oh, and I'd like to pass on the Stylish Blogger award to you, when you have time stop on by to pick it up. (it'll be on the Thursday Jan 27 post, in case its awhile before you can stop over)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad to see that Cindy Sue is recuperating so far. I like the sock thing - that looks a lot more comfy than a plastic cone. LOL Best wishes to y'all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. the sock collar was brilliant. Tucking that idea away for future use, though I hope I never have cause to use it! The feeding line description made me chuckle out loud. And the feeding by hand..I had to do that with Paris when she was a pup. She just wouldn't eat, so I was trying to encourage it. Then I started to wonder if I was just being used. I'm sure Cindy Sue is eating up the extra attention, and when the time comes, she'll go back to self-feeding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What? No fashionable Argyle sock? Just because a girl's on the mend doesn't mean she can't make a fashion statement.

    So very glad to hear she's doing well.

    Love the stuffed sock idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey girlfriend. I am so proud of you. Look at that picture of the calf from last year and then look at the picture of Cindy Sue. You have come so far in just one short year. Yeah you.

    Now on to Cindy Sue, she is going to have issues about being outside. My guys have dealt with coyotes and I've got the vet bills to prove it. She's going to be afraid, really afraid to go out without you. So I don't know how far she used to go, but she won't do it now. She's going to need her mommy to keep her safe, and I know you'll be right there for her. She's been traunatized, understand that. Oh well I'm probably preaching to the chior. Oh well, I have trouble spelling "cat."

    PS: How on earth did you set up this really wonderful page. You rock girlfried.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh no............I had to go back and doing some reading about Cindy Sue's coyote attack.
    Poor thing....I am glad she is doing well.
    Now I am all worried about our dog...she is bigger then yours, a standard poodle....but we have coyotes around too
    and Lucy (our dog) would just think they were another fun dog to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad she is on the mend-what a scare! We have a bunch of coyotes here. I usually see 4-5 running along the back fence daily.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good news and love that cute collar, what a clever idea. What's the vet update?

    I thought of Cindy Sue the other day when Maggie Mae brought home a huge rat and deposited it on the front door step. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Clever idea using the sock collar. Rural folks sure are good at using stuff they already got, eh?
    Looks bulky, but soft and comfy, too. I'll have to remember that idea, just in case.
    I'm glad she's feeling better and you came up with a sneaky way to encourage her to eat. :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  27. The sock idea is great. It looks a lot more comfortable than those ugly plastic things. I'm going to have to remember this. You just never know when it'll be my turn.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~