Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday Stills ~ Graffiti or Street Art

~I want to seize any pleasure that comes my way
because it might not come by again.~
~Amelia Banks 1901~

This week's Sunday Stills photo challenge was definitely a challenge for me. Living in a very small community such as ours maybe has yet to see it's first graffiti...maybe!

If it has or hasn't, I know that I've never seen any and neither has My Man.

As I was driving into town last week, I drove through a traffic jam...which is a herd of cow/calf pairs being moved down the state highway by the cowboys on horseback. Of course, they leave a pretty big mess behind them. I wondered to myself if cow pucky on the road constituted street art...or if the manure that sprayed up the side of my truck could be considered graffiti?  Well, neither of those ideas would have produced very pleasant photographs to share with everyone.

So, I'm going to resort to a rerun of a photo from a month or so ago...but one that has not been used for Sunday Stills.

The challenge didn't put an age or era limit on the street art...so I'm submitting pictographs that are located on Hat Butte (across the road from us). My friend Ty showed them to me. He and his grandfather found them while trapping in the area when Ty was a lil' boy.

An excerpt from the Burns Paiute Tribe:

The Wadatika (literally waada-eaters) band of Paiute Indians that lived in southern and central Oregon were the ancestors of the Burns Paiute, whose reservation is in Harney County, north of Burns. The area is part of the arid Great Basin region shared by several states. Their language was the northernmost member of the Uto-Aztecan family.
Following the seasons, the Wadatika hunted, fished and gathered edible plants, harvesting their diet from lakes, marshes, streams and uplands. Root gathering and fishing took place in the spring. The roots and fish were dried and placed in storage in anticipation of winter. The Wadatika roamed throughout their lands in the summer, tracking game and collecting seeds. Those activities continued into the fall when they harvested the lakeshore waada plant for its nutritious black seeds. Autumn also was a time for hunting waterfowl. With the advent of winter, out came the stored supplies of dried food. To augment their diet, the Wadatika constructed bulrush mat dwellings near ice-free wetlands in order to harvest water birds, plants and other wildlife.


Paiute Pictograph


Paiute Pictograph 2


Paiute Pictograph 1


To see more graffiti and street art photos, go here at Sunday Stills and find the links in the comments.

Have a great week!!

15 comments:

  1. I love these pictures. What beautiful country you live in. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting on the site being so close. Who knows maybe they were considered graffiti. I always like such sites wherever I come across them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's an interesting take on graffiti. Unbelievably hard challenge for the prairie; I cheated, but it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very neat! I was hoping someone would have this sort of thing. I wonder if in a few hundred years people will be studying our grafitti and calling it historically valuable? I somehow have my doubts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I'd love to see something like that! I'd probably cry or something ~ I'm weird like that.

    ~Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Petroglyphs were the first graffiti, great job..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those native gangs back then sure did some nice work;) We have some old carvings on hoodoos but nothing with any color like yours. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would much rather see this kind of "historical graffiti" than any other kind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, amazingingly done. i appreciate your efforts to find one like that. I truely agree with Sarah, some time later, thoz guyz will say graffiti of these dayz a true historic valuable ;)

    well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Jeni...this kind of stuff gives me a sense of times past that feels almost sacred. Stays with me for awhile. Your lucky to have seen it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect! That's my kind of wall art :-).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nature's graffiti is the best, although cow pucky could be considered "nature" too!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~