Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Stills ~ Clouds

~There's one thing I can say about women: They smell better than men.~
~Elizabeth West 1877~


This week's Sunday Stills photo challenge is one we've done before, but clouds are always fun to photograph! This time of year we get thunderstorms coming through in the late afternoon...usually right around 5PM when it's time to move the wheel lines...at which time I get the heck out of the field~My Man's friend told him a story about the time he saw lightening hit a wheel line and the current bounced right down the line from wheel to wheel...really freaky!

The first photo was taken last weekend before the challenge was announced...I just liked how the clouds lay parallel to the rim.


Cloud Lined Rim
A Cloud-lined Rim at Sunset.

These next photos are from the storm that came through on Wednesday afternoon.

Thunderstorm Gathers
Storm clouds gather to the south.


Thunderheads to the North
Thunder heads begin forming to the north.


Sheets of Rain in Anderson Valley
To the east thunder, lightening, and sheets of rain begin coming down...as I'm still in the sunshine...just for a lil' bit.

Within a half an hour the wind kicked up with huge gusts and a driving rain...it lasted for about 20 minutes. Luckily for us, all our hay was baled and stacked off the field...not so lucky for Hay Man Rudy...the winds blew his windrows all apart and he had to re-rake them...which looses leaves off the alfalfa...meaning loss of $$. Such is farming~

Check out more "cloud" photos from around the country and world by going HERE!!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the neat cloud photos! I LOVE CLOUDS. I don't blame you for getting out of the field when it's lightninging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at your photos. Nice shots. I guess we are getting about the same kind of weather.We have had some incredible weird storms coming through here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last photo looks pretty ominous! Timing is everything in farming isn't it?
    Is the butte to west of your place named?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the pictures are great, but I especially love the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots....I'm likin' your quotes to b.t.w.!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all are great but I really like that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are still waiting for that rain promised...

    I really like the first one - looks like a sleigh cloud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hate it when the wind blows the alfalfa windrows to heck, and the next winter you're feeding stems.

    I was moving a a few pieces of hand line hooked onto the end of a wheel line one time. I was underneath the power line when a thunderstorm blew through. Lightening struck the power line and I watched it sizzle and crackle as it moved down the line over my head. I got the heck out of there as fast as I could.

    Cloud formations are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots, love the last one best..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hay and the weather can be a delicate dance. Especially in thunderstorm country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could bottle that smell thats on the wind right before the rain blows in on a hot still day...

    great photoshots as always!, and theres a good reason we all have a natural fear of lightning storms :p

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~