Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Feelin' Like Fall

~A woman's skin doesn't take to weather well.
She can get wrinkled by a hard day's work in the sun.~
~Frances Wright 1900~

It was bad enough when the horses started shedding their summer coats a few weeks ago...yesterday morning there was ice on the alfalfa under the wheel lines! We couldn't move (or turn off the water) until the ice melted. If you do, the leaves will turn black...sort of odd, but that's how it works. So, I had to wait until 8 AM for the ice to melt.

But the good news is that our 3rd cutting alfalfa is up past our knees and lookin' great! Hopefully we'll get better tonnage with this cutting than the first two...we can definitely use it! Both first and second cuttings are sold too...Amen!

Today, it's supposed to be 88 degrees and tomorrow a whoppin' 94 degrees and by Saturday it'll be down to 73...well, it's just that time of year!

Next Thursday/Friday Colt and I will be at the Lakeview County Fair for their stock horse show. And the week after that is our Futurity here in Harney County where Gus gets his debut in his 2 year old halter class and Colt will show in the two-rein. I'm a bit nervous about the two-rein thing, but we worked cows out of the herd last week at the Bell-A in the two-rein, and we did pretty good...it wasn't a wreck! So, we're going to just do the best we can.


Best Friends Forever
Gus and Colt are Best Friends Forever.

Another beautiful, sunny mornin' in SE Oregon...


Water Tank Reflections
Reflections in the water tank.



Feeling Up Side Down?
Feelin' a lil' up side down?

That last photo makes me feel like I'm standing on my head!

I have a list of things to do today that's a mile long...I better get at it instead of playin'!



13 comments:

  1. Ahh the unpredictable fall weather, makes planning outdoor activities a challenge!

    Can't wait to see pictures of you and Colt and Gus at the Fair. I bet you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even mention it to my cowboy cause he thinks I'm crazy, but Fall is my favorite time of year. I hang on to every pretty day knowing that winter will soon be terrrorizing us. He just thinks of it as too close to winter. Wishing you the best on your young horse's debut and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that last picture does make you feel like I am standing on my head, crazy! I cant believe you had ice already, it seems so early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's bad enough I still feel loopy after getting kicked in the face by my horse, but then I come over and feel like I'm upside down looking at that last photo....whew. I think I need to go lie down a little while now.
    lol!

    Cool photos, though.
    I hear ya on the weather change. The weather is going through it's burps and farts trying to adjust to the change into Winter.

    Last night we had a hard rain and last night the temps were in the high 40's! Brrr!

    Today the temps haven't got above 60 degrees. And the wind is whipping around like crazy. I'm tucked under my fleecy bathrobe and a fleece blanket. I'm cold!

    The rest of this week is supposed to be mid 70's though, so it'll warm up a little bit at least.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoo whoo .... 3rd cutting already up to your knees ...yeah, and probably just in time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck at the event!

    Those pictures are great... I was trying to figure out what the heck I was looking at!

    I'm praying for a long fall..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun at your events coming up! Yeah, this time of year the weather can do all kinds of fun things. Here in Oklahoma, we had a cold front come through (IN AUGUST!), and it's really nice out compared to the 100+ degrees we've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah yes! Old man winter is just a few weeks around the corner if you stop and think about it...though I'm trying not to think about it just yet! I cant' believe you guys had ice though! Oh what I'd do to have some of those cool temperatures right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun at the fair! Colt will be a seasoned show horse pretty soon. Bet you still get the jitters before every class.
    Here's hoping you get good weather for putting up your 3rd cut.
    I love the BFF photo, it's nice when your horses get along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather has been crazy here as well. In fact, but the end of this week it will be in the low 50's. GROAN.
    I can't handle winter and it is just around the corner I fear.

    Farmers around here have had a heck of a time getting their hay up....rain, rain, rain.

    I am glad we are retired from haying right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm gonna enjoy the warm weather of fall...soon I'll be missing sleeping with the windows open at night. Good luck at the fair..and always have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you. Take some shots while you're there. These look fantastic,

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~