Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Calving Time!


This week hasn't been one of my best weeks. I still keep asking myself how I could be so emotional about a horse that I didn't even have...so to speak. (of course I'm talking about Slider)

I had to make myself quit watching the video that I did in tribute to him. I won't ever forget him, but other horses need our attention, so we must go forward. We need to be strong and face the world again.

This afternoon I got the kick in the pants that I needed...life does go on...death in inevitable, but life still goes on~




I went out for the evening feeding...and Annabelle
didn't come in...hmmmmm...
I think there could be a reason!






Yep, that's a pretty proud momma cow!






The lil' guy was still wet too!






But he's showing tell tale signs of his first meal...
what a good lil' boy!


Lil' foals, puppies, kittens, calves...whatever...they're all good for one's soul~


TransparentSig

20 comments:

  1. Oh EEHH! Calves! I miss having cows so much this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calves are the cutest baies ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't they just the best?

    Congrats, and now you have a pair to sort.

    Did you have that great break in the weather a couple days ago?
    Today was howling wind and spitting snow..... oh well, the better days are more frequent now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about Slider, wished it would've had a better outcome for ya'all. You would've given him a great home, for sure..like that healthy looking calf will have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh how cute is that. Time heals everything, you'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww…A calf! Spring time truly is upon us, for anyone looking to adopt a kitten or puppy, get your butts down to the local shelter, for tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute little baby! Milky mouth is good, got a tummy full of milk and going to take a nap I'll bet.
    when we had our cows they were in a field right by the house and I could see them from my sewing room window. One of the cows was due and as I looked out the window I could tell she was getting ready to have her calf. I grabbed the video camera, plugged it in, didn't want the battery to die. Got set up to watch the miracle of birth. I got the whole thing on film, wow, how neat!!! It's so amazing that the calves can be up moving and eating in such a short time. All the rest of the herd had to come and circle around and watch too.
    What breed is Annabelle, love the black tips on her horns!
    (so sorry about Slider) :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cutie! I just got myself a Pomeranian puppy to add to my pack - baby makes four. My youngest is 41/2, I was definitely overdue for a puppy. Just looking at her makes me laugh - she is just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a little cutie! Love those eyelashes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toooo cute! Still wet!! What an adorable baby and proud mama!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So VERY cute......you're right, life goes on and it's a good thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Annabelle did GOOD! He has Junior's cute little head! How very adorable! Congratulations to you and John and Annabelle! And to Cousin Ellie! Now I'm heading out to see if your new little guy has any new cousins on the ground here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love calves, he or she? is a beauty. You are right about babies being good for the soul, sounds and looks like the timing was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cowgirl Rae~ya, it wasn't too bad a couple of days ago. Yesterday was blowing, but dry. Right now we have a dusting of snow and it's still coming down. This weather is the true sign of spring in Central and Eastern Oregon that's for sure!

    jane a~how cool to get the whole birth on video! I've delivered many foals, but not a calf.

    DarcC~I bet your hands are full right now! I bet he's a cutie!

    Janice~It's a lil' bull calf!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane -- in reply to the breed of cow that Annabelle is ... her mama was full Jersey and her daddy was Angus so she has the best of both worlds! We have her full sister and one of Annabelle's heifer's here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love this post. The pictures are so heartwarming, especially after the sadness around Slider.
    I am in awe of your blog and thus would like to award you the 'Beautiful Blogger' award.
    The award is posted on my blog at: http://livingadream2.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-am-so-honored-once-upon-equine.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on that beautiful baby calf!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome!! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~