Welcome to JKs Rough String Ranch

Welcome to the Rough String, and thanks for stoppin' by!! Grab a hot cup of coffee and sit a spell!
10/22/18 You will see a name change on the blog. Lots of things have changed in my life in the past few years, and I feel compelled to share my story.

What's your health score?
Just Take Your FREE Health Assessment: Click Here
Please DO NOT copy or reproduce my photos or writing in any way without my permission...just ask!!!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summer Schedule is Upon Us

It's been a week since my last post when I had to take the trip to Portland...ya probably thought I got swallowed up the Big City!! The training school was good and it's nice to talk to everyone that I only see twice a year. I work part time for the Oregon Field Office of the National Agricultural Statistics Service. My job is to go out and visit with farmers and ranchers in my area and collect data for USDA use (to put it simply). I've got plenty of work to keep me busy for the next 3 weeks!

So, I made it back safe and sound...but our summer schedule is in full swing...it's leaving little time to blog...grrrrr.


But, twice a day I'm hangin' up my cowgirl hat to don my fashionable farmer attire...

High rubber boots and a baseball cap...

We're up and out changing lines by 5 a.m. and I'm back out there at 5 p.m. to start it all over again. Thank goodness we've got it down so we only change 2 lines in the morn' and then we change all 4 lines in the afternoon.

The irrigated pasture got prepped for the summer last weekend...which involved picking up all the hand lines, mowing, raking to spread the manure, and reset the hand lines. But, it's sure nice to have a pasture close to the barn for the horses we ride all the time.


FYI, this pasture is only 4 acres or so.
The neighbor's alfalfa/grass mix is in the
background up the valley.


Colt really loves to help, but of course
all he was was in the way!



Last Saturday, one of the lines had a blowout in the flexi hose and it ran for about 20 minutes before I found it. The force of the water rutted out a big hole in the ground and the amount of water totally flooded a huge area... sage rats were swarming like crazy. Cindy Sue was in her element!

That's my good lil' rattie girl!!!


My Man and I took time for a ride to check the fence lines on Sunday. We started early because it was going to be a hot day...90 degrees. Accompanied by all three dogs, we started climbing...



Cindy Sue, Whiskey, and My Man...
what are they all looking at???





Cowboy and the spring flowers sure
made a nice shot...but he looks good all the time!






One of my favorite flowers are out...
Indian Paint Brush.






Making our way toward the top.
The fence is directly to our left.


Luckily the fences are in fine shape, and there's plenty of grass too. We'll lease out the pasture for some cow/calf pairs in a month or so.






At the top...my fat lil' mustang, Rohan and me.
Just enjoying the view.





Whiskey spied our other horses and burros
down below us. He's such a handsome guy.


We took bottled water with us and the pups enjoyed a good drink.



Cindy Sue was huntin' some shade...it was
starting to warm up.


Hope all is well with everyone and enjoy your week!!




Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. What a great post! I love your photos, your dogs and horses. It is great to see how your life on the farm is like, I would love to be there, ride with you guys checking the fences ans so on. For you it's daily life, for some of us it might look like an exciting vacation in the wild wild west... :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are getting some nice weather; perfect for riding! Come on up here for a little snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are so busy!
    Thanks for taking us on your ride with us. I wish I lived on a place like that! I'd love to go ride to check fence lines etc. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, I love Indian Paintbrush too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad things are going well, love the paintbruch pic, the others are great as well.
    Later gator..Ed

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of work to catch up on. Cindy Sue is just too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh.I miss my life. Your photos help and hurt at the same time. Guess that's the definition of bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! The Indian Paintbrush. One of my favorites, too!

    You've been busy, but you're still finding time to ride...if even for work. hehe!
    Rohan is handsome! And you and your man look so at ease and happy out there under the big sky and open spaces together.

    I noticed your ATV/tractor is made by Arctic Cat...Cool! They are who sponsors my twinling sons' baseball team.

    Have a terrific week!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy adorable horse, your mustang is super cute! I love how huge he is!! He looks like a big sweetheart. And Whiskey is is a handsome one too!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Let me know what's on your mind~~